Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Everything Social Media

Everything Social Media

When using my social media platforms, I have always been more reserved when it comes to posting content and photos. I am currently only using four social media platforms; Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Snapchat.
I always learned to be careful with the content I share, thanks to my father. I grew up with a parent who is involved in the business world. He always taught me about the importance of not posting content that could cause difficulty in the future when it came to my career. For example, you would never see a social media post of me partying and going wild on spring break. Instead, you would see a calm and collected photo of me enjoying the beach. I also try not to post to much personal information about my religion, political views, or any beliefs that could possibly make a job recruiter offended or uncomfortable.
 The one concern I have always had is not what I post but what people post of me. Yes, I am more composed when it comes to posting, but I cannot control what others post. It has always worried me about what others could do to my career from one photo that wasn't even my intention to be seen by the public.
For personal information, I am relatively private. I try not to reveal much besides my age and where I am from. On the other hand, I do post about content that I believe people would enjoy knowing about, such as my favorite movies, hobbies, and other general facts. Besides being more reserved on most of my social media, the only platform I've released my phone number and email to is LinkedIn for potential job offers or questions on my resume.
Overall my personal experience using social media has been positive. My initial interest in social media was to connect with loved ones who are far or to post photos I want to share with the world. I also enjoy looking back at all the memories I have made, and it makes my family happy to keep track of what I am currently doing.

On the contrary, I can see how social media can have a negative effect on people. An important word that has developed over the years that causes people extreme anxiety and nervousness is FOMO (fear of missing out). People don't feel satisfied with themselves or their lives when they see others enjoying it more. For example, people who are on the heavier side or who don't have perfect skin can feel depressed when they see photos of Instagram models that make them feel different. They wish they could look like others, which makes them feel malcontent with themselves.  Or someone who already feels alone can feel more lonesome if they follow a person who continually posts about having a good time with their friends.
There are pros and cons to social media, and it just depends on how people use it. People can use it in an ethical or immoral way. For example, there is a fine line when it comes to online dating. For anyone who has experienced it, online dating can be significant or catastrophic. Some people who have been unhappy with how they look can decide to catfish another person. Catfishing is when you pretend to be someone else on social media. For example, If I made a Tinder account and stole pictures of an Instagram model, and I said I was her- That would be catfishing. To contradict that, people can also fall in love and feel less nervous to talk to people online before meeting in person.


A definite pro to social media is how people have made it into their career. Famous social media influencers such as LeLe Pons or Liza Koshy have over 40 million followers on their social media platforms and make a living off of posting.

In the end, it all depends on what you want your influence to be on social media.
https://www.google.com/search?q=lele+pons&client=firefox-b-1-
https://mediakix.com/blog/top-influencers-social-media-instagram-youtube/
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/05/is-facebook-making-us-lonely/308930/
https://whatismyipaddress.com/catfish

No comments:

Post a Comment